The title of the Office of the Apostle or Apostolic Anointing is often abused, misinterpreted or overlooked.
The duties include but are not limited to the following.
To Gather, to Import, to Mobilize, to Bring Government and Order, to Judge, to Reform, to Build, to Bring Revelation, to Be a Spiritual Parent, to Lay Foundations, to Bring New Moves of God, to Be a Bridge, to Establish Truth, to Be Pioneers, to Legislate, to Execute, to Be Defenders of The Faith, to Oversee, to Invade, to War, to Enforce, to Convert, to Develop Leaders, to Confront False Teachers, to Finish.
First and foremost let us remember that Paul called himself a servant, and a father, and that he paid a price most are not willing to pay. To much emphasis is being placed on holding a title, and not enough on walking in the office. This is why it is important to know that you are called by God and confirmation is given by many Prophetic voices. The sad fact is people are purchasing titles, usurping titles, and commandeering titles for personal glory instead of Gods glory.
An Apostle is one who has been especially called and sent by Christ to have the spiritual authority, character, gifts and abilities to reach and establish people in Kingdom truth and order. They ground the church in sound biblical teaching, and raise up Sons and Daughters to duplicate themselves into adulthood.
Let’s read Paul’s words 2 Corinthians 11:23-29 in the MSG translation.
“Since you admire the egomaniacs of the pulpit so much (remember, this is your old friend, the fool, talking), let me try my hand at it. Do they brag of being Hebrews, Israelites, the pure race of Abraham? I’m their match. Are they servants of Christ? I can go them one better. (I can’t believe I’m saying these things. It’s crazy to talk this way! But I started, and I’m going to finish.) I’ve worked much harder, been jailed more often, beaten up more times than I can count, and at death’s door time after time. I’ve been flogged five times with the Jews’ thirty-nine lashes, beaten by Roman rods three times, pummeled with rocks once. I’ve been shipwrecked three times, and immersed in the open sea for a night and a day. In hard traveling year in and year out, I’ve had to ford rivers, fend off robbers, struggle with friends, struggle with foes. I’ve been at risk in the city, at risk in the country, endangered by desert sun and sea storm, and betrayed by those I thought were my brothers. I’ve known drudgery and hard labor, many a long and lonely night without sleep, many a missed meal, blasted by the cold, naked to the weather.
And that’s not the half of it, when you throw in the daily pressures and anxieties of all the churches. When someone gets to the end of his rope, I feel the desperation in my bones. When someone is duped into sin, an angry fire burns in my gut.”
Let’s explore further each of the duties and roles below, noting that this is not an exhaustive list but an overview of possibilities.
25 Duties and Roles of the Apostle.
1. To Gather: Gather to teach, train & mobilize. ” He who is not with Me [definitely on My side] is against Me, and he who does not [definitely] gather with Me and for My side scatters.” Matt. 12:30 AMP
2. To Impart: Impart spiritual graces to saints to fulfill Destiny’s. “To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me [unless they are the offering of the heart]? says the Lord. I have had enough of the burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed beasts [without obedience]; and I do not delight in the blood of bulls or of lambs or of he-goats [without righteousness]. Isaiah 1:11 AMPC
3. To Mobilize: To stir up and mobilize.
4. To bring government and order: Apostle is a government anointing. Titus 1:5 AMP For this reason I left you [behind] in Crete, that you might set right what was defective and finish what was left undone, and that you might appoint elders and set them over the churches (assemblies) in every city as I directed you.”
5. To Judge: To bring judgement and correction to the church. Bring the good get rid of the bad and address sin. 1 Cor. 5:3 AMP As for my attitude, though I am absent [from you] in body, I am present in spirit, and I have already decided and passed judgment, as if actually present.
6. To Reform: Reformers bring change and reformation. Heb. 9:10 AMP For [the ceremonies] deal only with clean and unclean meats and drinks and different washings, [mere] external rules and regulations for the body imposed to tide the worshipers over until the time of setting things straight [of reformation, of the complete new order when Christ, the Messiah, shall establish the reality of what these things foreshadow–a better covenant].”
7. To Build: We are wise master builders, we are to build strong churches. 1 Cor. 3:10 AMP According to the grace (the special endowment for my task) of God bestowed on me, like a skillful architect and master builder I laid [the] foundation, and now another [man] is building upon it. But let each [man] be careful how he builds upon it,”
8. To Bring Revelation: Ephesians 3-3:5 “Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets.”
9. To be a Spiritual Parent: To birth, protect, teach, and mentor. To have strategic apostolic teams. Always ask “Do you believe me” “Do you believe what God says” Malachi 4 and 1 Corinthians 4:15 “I’m not writing all this as a neighborhood scold just to make you feel rotten. I’m writing as a father to you, my children. I love you and want you to grow up well, not spoiled. There are a lot of people around who can’t wait to tell you what you’ve done wrong, but there aren’t many fathers willing to take the time and effort to help you grow up. It was as Jesus helped me proclaim God’s Message to you that I became your father. I’m not, you know, asking you to do anything I’m not already doing myself.”1 Corinthians 4:14-16 MSG
10. To Lay Foundations: To lay foundations in the lives of people so they can grow properly in the Lord You are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets with Christ Jesus Himself the chief Cornerstone.” Eph. 2:20 AMP
11. To Bring New Moves of God: To Bring new moves to God, to be a catalyst/ a person or thing that precipitates an event, release new gifts, and initiate new messages on a new move of God. To be a fire starter.
12. To be a Bridge: Apostles are raised up during times of transition. Leaders need to be refreshed by each other and intercessors for this reason.
13. To Establish Truth: To Bring new revelation and new moves of God to the church. New moves of the Spirit.
14. To be Pioneers: Moving to new territories. Move in the natural and supernatural.
15. To Legislate: We are to be officers of the church, bring Kingdom Decrees and declarations. Declare out loud always put I proclaim as an apostle , I decree, I declare, I proclaim. Acts 15
16. To Execute: execute plans and purposes of God’s church. Carry out perform or do. Necessary to perform to carry out the great commission.
17. To be Defenders of the Faith: Being an Apostle is a military position. We are to bring truth and attack infiltration, this is for all apostolic offices Philippians 1:17 “The latter [proclaim Christ] out of love, because they recognize and know that I am [providentially] put here for the defense of the good news (the Gospel). But the former preach Christ out of a party spirit, insincerely [out of no pure motive, but thinking to annoy me], supposing they are making my bondage more bitter and my chains more galling.”
18. To Oversee: Bishopric The district over which the jurisdiction is extended. Acts1:18-20 Tim. 3:1
19. To Invade: Apostles are embed and dedicated with an ability to invade new territories.
20. To War: Territorial Warriors, commanders of the highest level. Strategic apostolic carriers. 2 Cor. 10:40 “We’re not barging in on the rightful work of others, interfering with their ministries, demanding a place in the sun with them. What we’re hoping for is that as your lives grow in faith, you’ll play a part within our expanding work. And we’ll all still be within the limits God sets as we proclaim the Message in countries beyond Corinth. But we have no intention of moving in on what others have done and taking credit for it. “If you want to claim credit, claim it for God.” What you say about yourself means nothing in God’s work. It’s what God says about you that makes the difference 2 Corinthians 10:15-18 MSG
21. To Enforce: Spiritual enforcers, to enforce biblical standards of righteousness. Titus 1:13 “For there are a lot of rebels out there, full of loose, confusing, and deceiving talk. Those who were brought up religious and ought to know better are the worst. They’ve got to be shut up. They’re disrupting entire families with their teaching, and all for the sake of a fast buck. One of their own prophets said it best: The Cretans are liars from the womb, barking dogs, lazy bellies. He certainly spoke the truth. Get on them right away. Stop that diseased talk of Jewish make-believe and made-up rules so they can recover a robust faith. Everything is clean to the clean-minded; nothing is clean to dirty-minded unbelievers. They leave their dirty fingerprints on every thought and act. They say they know God, but their actions speak louder than their words. They’re real creeps, disobedient good-for-nothings.”Titus 1:10-16 MSG
22. To Convert: Convert the body to the laws and culture of God. Build a heavenly culture and turn the body from dark to light Acts 3:19 20:16
23. To Develop Leadership: To ordain confirm and set in place. To release Gods decrees. Titus 1:5 John 15:16
24. To Confront False Teachers: An Apostle is a confrontational anointing. We are to confront false teachers witchcraft and immorality. Galatians 2:11 “But when Cephas (Peter) came to Antioch, I protested and opposed him to his face [concerning his conduct there], for he was blameable and stood condemned.
25. To Finish we are to focus on the finish line and execute the plans of God. John 4:34